Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 154 - Polyphemus Moth

I actually took this picture last night. I was sitting at the table getting some correcting done when I looked over to the screen and saw this amazing moth. I took some pics from inside but they didn't really turn out. I decided to take a chance and go on the deck. I wasn't sure the moth would stick around and wait but it was very cooperative and patient. It hung out for quite awhile so I could figure out which settings to use on my camera. I had to use the flash as it was night time but it didn't seem to affect the colour. Today one of my students found a smaller version near where we were playing. She held it for me so I could take a picture. The little guy is below.

4 comments:

Kristy Johnson said...

That isn't a type of luna moth, is it? The spots must really scare off predators! Very interesting!

Anonymous said...

Those are very cool! Just like with butterflies, it's always interesting to see the variety of colorings....

~Julie

longneys said...

Yes, Kristy I believe they're a type of luna moth. When I got home I googled Moth and looked for pictures that resembled the one I had taken.

susanvg said...

Great catch. I still spend too much time fiddling with settings (and often not getting them right).